Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Mexican Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to my beloved friends and family Stateside! All the way out here in Mexico, I have still had the good fortune to celebrate with my immediate family. By last Friday, my brother and my parents were here with me. 


My real Thanksgiving occurred last Saturday. My mom came up with the idea to celebrate this American holiday in our community with singing. The last minute invitation went out – bring a gratitude, a “Thanksgiving” dish and a song!

By the time everyone arrived, all age groups were present. There was a newborn baby and we celebrated the presence of the oldest member of the community. Amongst the buzzing of people, special dishes covered all of the surfaces. There was just the right amount of food. As the last person left the food line, there was no more dinner to be had. Then on to dessert!



With dessert came the singing. Each family had brought a song to teach or to share. My friend from Spain sang a flamenco song. Her daughter sang a pop song in English accompanied by her guitar. Don Goyo, a campesino worker sang traditional Mexican songs of country love. A mother who guides transformational sweat lodges sang a song from the Temascal with her two small sons. 



My family and I closed with the song “Swimming to the Other Side” by Pat Humphries.



The words of this song are so beautiful. Sometimes, they make me cry.

We are living 'neath the great Big Dipper
We are washed by the very same rain
We are swimming in the stream together
Some in power and some in pain
We can worship this ground we walk on
Cherishing the beings that we live beside
Loving spirits will live forever
We're all swimming to the other side

I am alone, and I am searching
Hungering for answers in my time
I am balanced at the brink of wisdom
I'm impatient to receive a sign
I move forward with my senses open
Imperfection, it be my crime
In humility I will listen
We're all swimming to the other side  

On this journey through thoughts and feelings
Binding intuition, my head, my heart
I am gathering the tools together
I'm preparing to do my part
All of those who have come before me
Band together and be my guide
Loving lessons that I will follow
We're all swimming to the other side  

When we get there we'll discover
All of the gifts we've been given to share
Have been with us since life's beginning
And we never noticed they were there
We can balance at the brink of wisdom
Never recognizing that we've arrived
Loving spirits will live together
We're all swimming to the other side 


How easy it is to forget that we’re all in this together, that we are never alone. How commonly do we aspire to get to the next achievement without realizing that we have already arrived in our own perfection? There I was, encircled by an incredible community - all celebrating a holiday from another culture, simply because it nurtures body and spirit to be together.


There is so much to be grateful for. I am grateful for all the things that I have. Here in Mexico, I’ve also learned to be grateful for the things that I don’t have. I call this patience. Sometimes, I wish I already owned a dog. Other days, I wish there weren’t so many variables to sort through in your 20s. But I cannot change those things! It’s a privilege to explore, to learn and to grow. I’m learning to appreciate the creativity and magic of my moment and I look forward to all of the moments yet to come.


As the night was wrapping up, my brother put on salsa music inviting people to dance. Guests were reticent to go inside near the music; the fresh breeze was so compelling. It was not too long before the 10-14 year olds in the community cautiously suggested that we change to the pop music on their ipods, and leave the adults outside to enjoy the weather. That day, the solar panels had run out of electricity. Soon, my living room was filled with preteens jamming to Top 40s hits by candle light. What fun!

I can't top the "Friendsgiving" I had on Saturday. Today is a working day here in Mexico, just like every other Thursday! In between my private sessions and my kids yoga class, my family and I will eat out at a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner. No home cooked meal, no mashed potatoes. What will be similar to my familiar memories of Thanksgiving, however, is that I plan to order a lot of food, more than I can eat, and bring home left overs. And I will share something that I am grateful for. 


10 comments:

  1. "...grateful for the things I don't have..." What an insight! Thank you Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to celebrate Thanksgiving! Community AND family - and music, song and dance. Happy Thanksgiving, Nora - and to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda! Hope you had a wonderful holiday too! Hugs

      Delete
  3. When I grow up, I want to be as wise, worldly and heart forward as you are Nora!
    What a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration-exactly as it should be. xoxo Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale! Well this post was inspired by you, so I'm glad that you liked it! Hope we can connect soon! Love to you!

      Delete
  4. Miss you all! Abrazazos! Emma & Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your reflections and look forward to many more Thanksgivings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Happy holiday time Amanda! xoxo Hope we can visit when I'm back in the states!

      Delete