Saturday, June 18, 2016

Culture Shock


My mother warned me about culture shock. When I returned home for Christmas, she cautioned: "Things won’t feel the same as they had before."

(Here I am at the airport wearing my dad’s surgical recovery boot that earned me the right to board the plane first with my little harp, ensuring its safe storage in the overhead compartment!)

She was right. Unlike in Huatusco, no one at Walgreens or ShopRite knew me.  That felt strange. And none of the checkout people would ever see me again. Or if they did, they would show no sign of recognition.  That seemed totally wrong. I kept trying to kiss people. I’d move in for a cheek kiss and many would back away. Others, bemused, would just take it, pleasantly surprised! While in Pennsylvania, I bought a puppy dog.  I had to fill out multiple applications, and have a good reference, and have my vet vouch for me. Yes, things were very different from Mexico!

After months living in the US, but longing to be back in the warmth and kindness of the southern hemisphere, I returned to Mexico.  No one warned me of culture shock the other way! By the time my feet touched ground in Mexico in March, it was as if I had already assimilated  to being American again -- after only a few months. I couldn’t understand why my schedule was out of control, or why time was always morphing into something I didn't expect! I felt uncomfortable hugging a group of six people when I only knew one of them. I’m sure I have already offended multiple people this way. I found myself saying “No, I can’t sit down for a snack with you. I’m being a typical American and I am busy and have things I need to attend to.”

Within a few weeks, I had begun again to settle into the Mexican pace of life. What really did it were the three days I spent in Orizaba, teaching at a new yoga studio. My hosts showered me with incredible hospitality, inclusion and spirit. Finally, I was back in the flow. It brought back for me many of the things I love best about living in Mexico!

By coincidence, my visit coincided with their once a year carnival, complete with amusement park rides and performances of the ancient “Danza de los Voladores” in which four men launch themselves off of an extremely high pole while one danced and played the flute on top!



As with everything I eat in Mexico, I doused my “mango-on-a-stick” in chili!


It wasn’t all fun and games! There was also work.  I had been invited to teach Kundalini yoga to an incredible group of people.  In the process I bathed them in harp and flute music.  I have a lot to be grateful for as I ease back into life in Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment