Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Concert

This post concerns more than one miracle.

In the very small and Catholic city of Huatusco, I produced a Shamanic Sound Healing Concert




performed by a, then unknown, American performer. More than 100 people attended the concert.   I consider that a miracle.

Months before, I concocted the idea with my respected teacher and mentor Nina Umai Spiro.  My plan was to have her come to Mexico to teach. Nina, the founder of a healing technique called Pravada Shamanic Sound Healing, is an incredible person, as well as a very gifted musician. She plays a clay flute known as the ocarina -- an instrument with deep roots in MesoAmerica, some believe dating back more than 12,000 years.  It's deep and earthy sound can haunt the soul.  In addition, she plays a mystical sounding wooden Double Flute. Nina's flute playing takes listeners on a journey deep into the center of one's being.

When Nina agreed to come teach a workshop in Mexico, I thought: "Why not do a concert too? Why not think big?" Once she booked her flight, I booked the Solleiro Theater, Huatusco's largest performing arts theater. Her interactive Pravada Sound Healing Concert would surely be something no one in the region had ever experienced.



But would anyone come? If fewer than 30 people attended I couldn’t even cover my costs. In a theater that seats 500, any fewer than 80 would feel pathetic. At first I tried to recruit at universities, but the odd teaching schedule and my own shyness deterred my progress. Then my friends taught me about the community system for selling tickets. Each friend/neighbor/colleague gets 10 tickets. The one for them is free, then they try to sell the rest. This method might be effective but it leaves the organizers with no idea how many tickets have been sold -- until they are seated in front of you.

At 6:45 on the night of the concert, as I looked out at an empty municipal theater, I panicked. As much as I wanted to be an amazing hostess, I couldn’t keep my cool or hide my anxiety. This would surely be my biggest flop in front of my beloved teacher.  

But in the next 15 minutes something magical happened. My friends and colleagues out front sold tickets and received already purchased tickets. A whole team of people, rallied around me and Nina to serve as ushers, greeters, ticket sellers, organizers. When I looked out at the audience at 7:10 (everything starts a little late here), there were well over 100 people in the audience. It was a miracle!

A second miracle happened during the concert itself. Instead of remaining silent during her interactive concert, (which can easily happen here in large groups) many people shared their powerful and moving experiences during the course of the evening. Nina held the space gracefully and I translated. That night, Nina and I were a team, sharing our hearts and our energy with the audience together.

Her flutes sang out beautifully through the entire auditorium, sometimes haunting, at others soothingly.



The flute has this magical way of entering your body and touching the heart and the spirit. 




It was an honor that people chose to share about their experiences during the concert, without holding back.

We balanced out our visit with a gathering of a smaller scale the following day.



Nina is the founder of The Circle of One, a process in which women around the globe share their native songs with each other, honoring themselves and building peace. We gathered at las CaƱadas with a number of women from my community, including multiple mother-daughter pairs. Their songs were beautiful. There were songs from the temascal (the traditional sweat lodge), native healing songs from Mexico, even a song from Spain. There were rap songs that the younger girls sang together with messages of caring for the earth. There were many tears. I think women were surprised at how profoundly they touched each other.



I walk away from my experience with Nina Umai in Mexico remembering how much value is gained from being together and sharing. Even when there is fear or doubt, it is worth taking action to foster community and transform people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment