Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Tiny House Blog 2

Everyday that I go down to check on the tiny house construction, I feel so excited. It is a dream coming true.  But how does one know when one's dream is complete? When is it time for a new dream?


When I left Mexico for the winter holidays, my tiny house looked like this:


It looked LIKE A REAL HOUSE!!! But just the skeleton and muscles of a house (what here in Mexico they call "obra negra" or "black work").  No polished finger nails, no eye lashes, no details.



Just getting to that stage was a huge accomplishment -- a dream of a lifetime for me.  For some reason, I have always wanted a tiny house.  My spirits felt so full when I boarded the plane for the holidays, knowing that I had embarked on completing an important "bucket list" item.

When I came back, the house was at a completely different level!

The kitchen wall had evolved from this:



to this:



to this:


The bathroom sink went from interesting:


to BEAUTIFUL! So much personality.



Today, the tiny house looks like this:

(including my landscaping efforts!)

It’s beauty is in the details.


When I’m inside, my energy is drawn to all the bright colors throughout the house.

(The kitchen counter and comal with firebox)


(The lively shower wall)


(Another view of the sink and tiled mirror)


(My little nook design turned out simple but stylish)

The house models the eco-technologies we maintain here to keep the planet safe. The electricity comes from solar panels. The composting toilet doesn’t waste any water, while the shower water is filtered by plants before being recycled back to the stream. And the wood fired stove heats the shower and the "comal" (griddle) at the same time!


The house definitely has personality. For example, when the wind blows, particles of dust and leaves creep in through the hand laid roof tiles. Everyday, I find the floor sprinkled with leaves and dirt.

My neighbors -- the geese just had their babies.  On nights when I stay there, they awaken me enthusiastically at dawn.



When I sit on the back patio, I have a perfect view of how the goslings' progress. 


The process of building the Tiny House got me thinking about dreams. How does one fulfill her dreams?  First, she must know what they are! How specific or open ended should a dream be?  What's the next after a dream (like mine to build a tiny house) is done?

I had to ask myself those questions once construction ended. Should I rent it? Should I live in it? I almost rented it, but at the last minute, I changed my mind. It didn’t feel right. The building didn’t feel complete. The bathroom was missing towel hooks. The bedroom was missing a bureau. I decided to wait. The house might wait a month or three before someone lives in it.  But when they do, the house will be ready to receive someone’s new energy and to provide it’s own to them.


Today, I remember to listen to, and trust my own timing. I know there’s no rush to get on to the next dream. There is only the relishing of this dream in this precious moment.

2 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful, Nora! How fulfilling it must be to see it completed and finally be in that space you dreamed up. Sending love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful, Nora! How fulfilling it must be to see it completed and finally be in that space you dreamed up. Sending love to you!

    ReplyDelete